Monday, June 13, 2011

We will make it through!!

It's been quite some time since I've written on here. No excuses other than I guess I just didn't want to write down what has been going on lately here in the DeCamp/Bragg household....because then that means it is actually happening. Makes it all the more real I guess.
Almost a month after my dad's surgery and he is recuperating really well! When we found out that he had colon cancer and needed to head into surgery, all of us kids knew we had to be home. Shannon flew home, David took a few days off, I took a week off, and Janel drove over from Mount Vernon. It was so nice to have it be as normal as possible, we had lots of laughs....lots of smiles:) I love my family so much!!
The surgery went well. The tumor was all removed as well as some lymph nodes. We waited 4 days to find out that the cancer had spread to the lymph nodes, meaning he would need to start chemo here shortly. He will need 6 months of chemotherapy.....they placed his stage at a level 3/C. I don't like nor do I believe in stages. I think it can be very dangerous to be told you only have a certain % to live. It puts restrictions on us and no one but God knows when that time is to come. Understandably my sibblings are really upset and worried. I am trying my best to be the strong older sister and help them deal with their feelings.
I am trying to focus on the positive.....that had it been just a few months later there may not have been any options of treatment. I am thankful that I live nearby, so I can go visit whenever I want to. I am thankful for my friends who have held me up these past few weeks. I am so in love with my daughter who has been a rock and has helped me so much lately. Thankful for Kenny who continues to work his little heart out so that I can spend time with my family.

I broke my foot (actually an avulsion fracture) on Friday.....and in talking to my dad minutes after he spoke to his oncologist and finding out that his cancer was worse than we thought he simply said, "honey, we will make it through this.....you and me together."
He is right....we will make it through.

2 comments:

  1. Ive thought about you so many times lately wondering how things have been. I love your attitude and strength. A broken foot :( no fun but your Dad is right - you guys will make it through.

    Love you lots and if you ever need anyone to talk to, I'm here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just did a post about Grandpa right now. I love you :)

    ReplyDelete