Monday, March 8, 2010

Scott Firefighter Stairclimb for Leukemia & Lymphoma

At 788 feet of vertical elevation, the Columbia Center (formerly Bank of America Tower) in downtown Seattle stands as the second tallest building west of the Mississippi. It takes 69 flights of stairs and 1,311 steps to reach the highly acclaimed observation deck overlooking the city.

The Scott Firefighter Stairclimb supports the mission of The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, raising money through sponsorships, individual and department fundraising, and entry fees. In 2009, the event featured over 1,500 firefighters from 244 different departments and brought in a record $640,000 for blood-cancer research and patient services.

This was my brother's second year participating in the stairclimb. My mom & dad, Kenny, Cierra & I all went down to watch the climbers and to cheer on David. Family members are not allowed in the Columbia Tower, so we braved a windy Seattle day and watched as hundreds of firefighters from all over the country checked in for their climb.

Out of 1294 climbers, my brother was 135th. At lunch afterwards he said, "oh I feel so gross" that was how he knew he did good. Last year he wasn't pleased with how he did, feeling like he still had some energy after he finished. This year he looked whooped!

We are so proud of you David!

I took a gazillion more photographs of the event, some of which I'll post later on my photoblog.





*my little wanna be firefighter*


No comments:

Post a Comment