Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Zoi.......tale of a crazy cat.


I'm finding myself very overwhelmed by the passing of my kitty. Maybe it's that he/she (that is a story for later in this blog) has always been there when I wake in the morning........always there when I go to bed at night......always there when I return home each day. Zoi had a personality like no other cat, and all who knew him/her shared that opinion.
Let me go back a bit in time........
I was walking through the CrossCreek Mall with my soon to be mother in law, & my soon to be sister in law Karen. Being a very small, quiet mall with hardly any foot traffic I was thrilled to see a pet store. I always loved going in to see the puppies, kitties, & fish. There was a
reason I walked in there that day, and its name was Zoi. I saw a large cage full of kittens. There must have been over 2 dozen in there, all sound asleep...curled up in a ball of fur. EXCEPT for one. A black scraggly kitty was hanging from the top of the cage, or rafters as call it....and would just free fall on top of all the sleeping kittens. This cat would pounce and jump on all the still kittens and seemed to be in a world all to itself.
"I HAVE TO HAVE THIS CAT!"
"You don't want that cat." my mother in law exclaimed.
"I'M GOING TO GET THAT CAT."
And so I pulled $25.00 out of my purse and paid the cashier. And that was that. I had a new baby.
Zoi was quite a handful. We already had another cat TCBY (TC for short) and boy oh boy did Zoi like to pick on TC. Zoi would hide behind the door or closet and wait for TC to walk by.....then jump on his back by digging his teeth into TC's fur. Zoi always had a mouthfull of white cat hair.
Now back to the story about Zoi being a him/her. When I bought Zoi, I was told (and confirmed with my own eyes) that Zoi was a girl kitty. So when we took her in to get spade, we were surprised when we got a phone call from a nice older lady explaining that they were in fact going to be doing a neuter. Zoi had boy parts....they were just inside him:)
Cierra had grown such an attachment to Zoi as well the past few years. Being an only child, I used to catch her talking with Zoi....as a sibling would. This alone makes me so sad to think about.
But this is life, and after life there is death. I was raised with the belief that we will once again see Zoi, so I've shared these beliefs with Cierra. This keeps her hopeful, and has made her smile when she thinks about holding him again.
She is a strong girl, and I'm so proud she is mine.

1 comment:

  1. So sad. I too have a kitty that looks much like him/her. :) I also lost two kitties, at one time, 2 weeks before I had Makylie. I feel for you and the family...Animals are amazing...they have an unconditional way about them, and they love in a way that is so pure. My love to you!!!

    ReplyDelete